IDEA: Expenses Workshop
Learn how to harness the power of IDEA Data Analytics to tackle expenses fraud. A bespoke course, prepared with client data and tailored to your own testing requirements.
- Mischaracterised expenses, where an employee requests reimbursement for a personal expense, claiming the expense to be business-related
- Inflated expenses, where an employee overstates the cost of actual expenses and seeks reimbursement
- False expense, where an employee invents a purchase and seeks reimbursement
- Multiple claims, where an employee submits a single expense for reimbursement multiple times.
Delegates should be fully conversant with the CIDA foundation level functionality covered in CI101 Introduction to IDEA Data Analysis.
RED FLAGS for False Reimbursement:
- Employees claiming high-value items on expense reports, without an original receipt as the items were paid for in cash
- An employee might ask a supervisor in another department to sign off on expense reports
- Patterns where expenses are consistently for the same amount
- Expenses that are consistently rounded off, ending in a “0” or “5”
- Meals and entertainment expense reimbursement requests coincide with an employee’s holidays or time off sick etc.
- In instances where only expenses above a certain amount require original documentation, an employee consistently submits expense reports for just under that threshold.
OTHER STANDARD TESTS
- Periodic analysis of expense accounts using historical comparisons or comparisons with budgeted amounts
- Expense limits – checking on expenses such as hotels, meals and entertainment.
Who should attend?
The course is aimed at External Auditors, Internal Auditors, Data Analysts and all those charged with inspection and /or analysis of Payroll / Expenses data.