Log in to MyCaseWare to view and download your files.
- Certain automatic documents (analytical review, leadsheet, trial balance) now display materiality guidelines from the materiality worksheet. If you are not using one of our Audit products and would like to set up materiality worksheets, refer to Materiality in Automatic Documents.
- You can now view graphs from the data in your lead sheets. Use the Graphs view to better visualize year on year changes and key relationships in your accounts.
- Added two-factor authentication support to Working Papers. Enabling two-factor authentication in Cloud keeps your data safe by reducing the risk of data breaches. Staff and contacts can also choose to enable this feature for their own account at their discretion.
- To improve engagement management, the following information now synchronizes from Working Papers to CaseWare Cloud:
- Adjusting journal entries
- Engagement progress
- Documents ready for review
- To improve visibility, the Tags column of the Document Manager now displays ... when the list of tags is too long to display within the column.
- You can now rotate PDF documents to the correct orientation using the internal image viewer.
- Template authors can now set a document as In Progress to exclude it from the Document Library, Copy Components dialog, and new files based on the template. This prevents users from adding incomplete documents to their files. You can also set effective dates which will be used to control content in a future release.
- Updating a template no longer requires all synchronized copies to be online or abandoned. Synchronized copies that are offline during the update will automatically resolve conflicts when they reconnect to the parent. Unlike standard conflict resolution where the last modified date sets the current version, these conflicts always resolve in favor of the template changes.
- Fixed an issue where currency symbols in a document were being replaced with page numbers.
- Fixed a scaling issue where some pages would overlap in the Print Preview dialog.
- Fixed an issue that prevented some Excel documents from saving as a PDF.
- Fixed an issue causing some PDFs to appear as read-only in the internal viewer.
- Fixed an issue where content pasted into a PDF would display upside-down in the internal viewer.
- Conditional formatting of cells is now available. Use conditional formatting to control the appearance of cells based on user-defined conditions. If you are using style sheets, any conditional formatting is retained when reloading the style sheet.
- You can now modify content directly from a cell rather than the calculation bar. As a result, your mouse cursor no longer moves to the calculation bar automatically after double-clicking a cell.
- Added the countif function for cell calculations. This function counts the number of cells in a range that meet a specified criteria.
History and milestones
- Moved the History and Milestone features from the Document tab to File | Version History.
- You can now automatically generate milestones when you save changes to a document. Enable automatic milestones for a specific document in File | Version History | Options. To prevent inflating the engagement file size considerably, each document stores a maximum of 10 automatic milestones. New automatic milestones replace the oldest milestone in the sequence. You can rename automatic milestones in the History dialog to exempt them from the 10 automatic milestone limit.
Imports and exports
- Copying Excel data to CaseView now automatically retains the format of negative values based on the copied content.
- When saving a file as PDF (Export, Print) or RTF (Export), you can now view an existing file from the browse window to copy and modify the file name.
- When saving or exporting a PDF or RTF, the dialog now includes a default file name and the last save location.
- The spacing for top and bottom page margins is no longer retained if an embedded PDF document does not have a header or footer attached.
Knowledge Library Index (KLI)
- Improved the comparison between library and document content in the KLI Preview Chooser dialog. Differences in the content display highlighted for your convenience. To view the comparison in a separate window, click the Compare icon.
- When comparing content, scrolling with your mouse wheel will now move both sections simultaneously. To move only one section, drag the scroll bar.
- You can now add multiple icon columns to the KLI Preview Chooser dialog. Each column now supports multiple icons. There is a 12 pixel limit for the size of the icons.
- Added support for Inline XBRL version 1.1.
- Added support for Inline XBRL Transformation Registry version 2 and 3.
- Fixed an issue that caused CaseView to use excessive CPU resources.
- Upgraded storage and enhanced scalability for SmartSync Server on Cloud.
- Fixed an issue where file names containing accented characters would cause erroneous synchronization conflicts.
- Fixed an issue where synchronization conflicts in child copies were not triggering an event if the parent file was inaccessible.
- Fixed an issue where Working Papers would stop responding when deleting a sync copy with a file extension exceeding 16-characters.
- Added support for SmartSync Server files in Tracker. A default SmartSync Server view has been added to the Views pane. Use Tracker to manage your SmartSync Server files, with actions to:
- Publish files to a server
- Create or abandon synchronized copies
- Clear synchronization information
- Repair or delete server copies
- You can now manage file protection settings from Tracker.
- You can now assign users to protected files from Tracker.
- Fixed an issue where Working Papers would not retain two-factor authentication login information when the Cloud login session expired.
Data Store Administration Tool
- Fixed an issue where Active Directory could not import from an Active Directory group exceeding 1500 users.
- Fixed an issue where converting a client file on a network drive with Microsoft KB4054518 installed would result in data loss.
- Added two-factor authentication support to Working Papers.
- Added a progress dialog when creating a sync copy from a file archived on Cloud.
- Improved storage reliability and increased scalability for SmartSync Server on Cloud.
Template development including CaseView
- Fixed an issue where installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update would cause noticeable delays when opening CaseView documents.
- Fixed an issue where opening a document would cause CaseView to stop responding.
- Fixed an issue that caused a long delay when searching for files in the SmartSync Server file list.
- Fixed an issue where protected files would not display in the SmartSync Server file list.
Data Store Administration Tool
- Shortened the timeout length for connecting to a data store when launching Working Papers. Working Papers will now launch promptly if the data store is unreachable.
Imports and Tax Integration
- Working Papers supports imports from the latest versions of the following software:
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016
- Sage 50 Accounts 2018
- Sage 50 Accounting (Peachtree-WIN) 2018
- Sage 50 Accounting CDN Edition (Simply) 2018
- Sage BusinessVision 2018
- QuickBooks (Canada) 2018
- QuickBooks (USA) 2018
In addition, all imports requiring Pervasive PSQL now support Pervasive PSQL v12.
- Working Papers now exports to the latest versions of the following tax package:
- ProFile 2017
- Fixed an issue that prevented users from drilling down on Connector links.
- Added the Document number format option to allow for customized page numbering when printing documents.
- Fixed an issue where sync-enabled files with names containing special characters would encounter erroneous synchronization conflicts.
- Fixed the delay when loading large automatic documents with tax code groupings.
- Fixed an issue where saving a document to Excel could cause Working Papers to stop responding if Office is incorrectly configured on the computer.
- Working Papers now supports smart card authentication. Organizations utilizing smart card technology can now use it as an alternative to a username and password.
- Fixed an issue where clearing the sync info on a Cloud file would not fully clear the file’s association with Cloud.
Data Store Administration Tool
- Added a setting in Data Store to enable smart card authentication in Properties | Active Directory. Note that Data Store version 2017.00.225 or higher is required.
- Fixed an issue where synchronizing Data Store with Active Directory could cause the program to stop responding.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to create a username that is already in use would display an incorrect error message.
- The Filter Manager now includes a Ready to Review option. Enabling this option sets the filter to display only documents ready to review.
Year End Close
- A new Auto-Publish feature is available for existing Cloud integrated files when performing a year-end close (YEC). Running the YEC function from either Working Papers or Cloud will now automatically publish the new engagement in the same entity as the previous year’s file, simplifying the transition to a new year.
- Performing a year-end close will now remove the due date from any documents tagged as deliverables.
Imports and Tax Integration
- The Portuguese XML import has been updated to adhere to current standards. When importing a file, content will populate based on the standard required by the version of the file.
- Added support for 1C:Enterprise version 8.3.
- Fixed an issue that caused some users to receive an access failure message when importing an Excel file to Working Papers.
- Fixed an issue where Working Papers would freeze if it was unable to successfully import a Sage file.
- Fixed an issue with Sage authentication where an incorrect username or password could cause Working Papers to stop responding.
- Fixed an issue where some imports would display the incorrect error message when an error occurred.
- Fixed an issue where installing Working Papers 2017 (French) over an existing 2016 version would not completely remove 2016 components.
- Fixed an issue where dragging a tab (e.g. the Trial Balance tab) off of the Working Papers window would cause Working Papers to stop responding.
- Fixed a performance issue when creating a new issue on a document with file protection enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the Search filter would not display results if the search was based on an entity number in the Assign Entity dialog.
- Fixed an issue in the Assign Mapping Numbers dialog where the use of spaces, wildcards, or special characters in a search would return varied results. Overall performance has also been improved.
- Fixed an issue where the real-time search function in the Assign Mapping Numbers dialog would not recognize Chinese characters.
- Added a repair prompt on program launch to correct registration issues that may be present after an operating system update. See Registry repair for upgraded operating systems for more details.
- Fixed an issue where installing the Windows 10 Creators Update caused Working Papers to appear unregistered.
- Expanded the Exclusive Lock function for Word and Excel documents. When enabled, modifications to the opened document are exclusive to the user. This can be used to prevent changes to the document from other SmartSync copies for the duration of the lock. Other users may modify the document once the locked session is closed.
- SmartSync Server and CaseWare Cloud environments now support client files greater than 4GB.
- SmartSync child copies now automatically check for, and transmit any missed synchronization events before they can be deleted. This will help prevent data-loss when clearing out child copies. Depending on the file size, the delete may take longer to execute than in previous versions.
- Fixed an issue with locked documents in sync copies.
- Fixed a number of issues where network problems could result in missing sync events that the software was unable to repair automatically.
- Fixed an issue where Working Papers would stop responding if a sync copy could not successfully connect to Cloud.
- To better serve our SmartSync Server users, the following back end changes were made to help diagnose and resolve issues in client files:
- Improved error checking processes when flushing a File Service Server.
- The File Service log now provides more comprehensive detail on file request processing.
- Fixed an issue where creating a new sync copy from a SmartSync Server file containing out-of-order sync events could result in missing data.
- Fixed an issue that could cause SmartSync Server to stop responding when multiple users attempt to open files simultaneously.
Template Development Including CaseView
- Fixed an issue where blank note number references would display due to hidden or skipped paragraphs in sub-documents.
- Fixed an issue where the Change Password dialog would not display when launched from a CaseView cell.
- Added a label that displays when editing headers and footers in CaseView. Custom header and footer names are included in the label to help you keep track of your content.
- Resolved various issues with CaseView documents when Multiple Document Windows mode is enabled:
- Fixed an issue preventing documents from being closed through the interface.
- Fixed an issue where CaseView background processes would not terminate after the document was closed, preventing functions in Working Papers that require exclusive access (e.g. Repair File, Consolidation).
- Fixed an issue that prevented users from maximizing a minimized CaseView window while the Multiple Document Windows setting was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to print a locked down file while Multiple Document Windows mode is enabled would cause CaseView to stop responding.
- Fixed an issue where copying and pasting text between cells would display incorrectly if the user’s input language was different from the default system language.
- Restored missing pagination options on the ribbon for versions of CaseView that have Background Pagination disabled.
Knowledge Library Index (KLI)
- Significant improvements have been made to KLI Preview Chooser.
- When comparing sections, your selection and the current section in the document will display side-by-side. Differences between the two are highlighted for your convenience. Selecting the Compare icon will display the comparison in a separate window to improve visibility.
- A customizable icon field is now available. Add custom icons and statuses to help track the status of various sections.
- Fixed an issue where special characters were not recognized in filenames when performing a conversion backup then attempting to restore the backup in an earlier version of Working Papers.
Trial Balance, Write-up, and Accounting
- Fixed an issue where adding tickmarks to unassigned accounts or groups would not function properly.
Updated the following tax packages to support the 2017 tax year:
- ProSystem fx® Tax
- GoSystem Tax® RS
- UltraTax® CS
- Lacerte® Tax
Note: This update can be applied to Working Papers 2016 and 2017.
- In jurisdictions where Bates Numbering is required, you can now attach this numbering schema when exporting a document to PDF or performing a Batch PDF export. The Bates Numbering is available in the PDF Advanced Options dialog. You can specify where numbering starts and ends, the number type and the position.
- If PDFs are set to open using an external viewer, any password-protected PDFs are excluded when you export multiple PDF files. Users were not aware that these documents were being excluded from exports, so now a prompt will display after the export listing the documents that were not included.
- Fixed an issue where the Save to PDF command was not working properly for .png and .jpg files.
- Microsoft Windows updates will no longer cause users to receive the “Error 30: printer not activated” message when attempting to save or print documents to PDF.
- Renaming column headings is now supported for automatic documents. This can be done using the Rename Columns command from the context menu or the View tab in the Ribbon. This is a document-specific setting.
- Fixed an issue where a consolidated drill down would sometimes fail to display all entity information in the drill down report.
- Fixed an issue where annotations could not be added to total or subtotal lines for tax groupings in automatic documents.
- Fixed an issue where column display settings for Custom Journals could cause the Debit, Credit and Total columns to be displayed at the same time.
- Fixed an issue where drilling down into reports with a consolidated view would display incorrect consolidated balances.
- A new deliverable property has been added to documents to help identify documents as client deliverables and track when they are due.Adding this document property also enables you to filter them in the Document Manager. This way you can easily view all client deliverables and their due dates. See Creating a filter for more information.
- Documents converted to placeholders are now placed in the Windows Recycle Bin so that they can be added back into the client file if still needed.
- You now have the choice to have role sign-offs display as document icons in the Name column of the Document Manager or as a separate column. You can access this option from the Tools tab by selecting Options | Roles.
- Fixed an issue where Outlook email files larger than 1MB from Outlook could not be added to the Document Manager in the 64-bit version of Working Papers.
- The Copy Components Wizard now properly copies commentary text from the Trial Balance automatic document.
- To make it easier to assign map/group numbers to large trial balances, the Assign Mapping Numbers and Assign Grouping Numbers dialog now includes a search filter that pre-populates a list of results based on what is entered. The search supports the use of wildcard characters (*, ?) for any sequence of characters.
- Fixed an issue that displayed incorrect M3 code options when adding a new tax code on a mixed consolidation entity file.
- Fixed an issue where Working Papers would sometimes become unresponsive when adding a new Performance Measures account.
- To aid in the review process, a new Document ready for review when option can be assigned to roles to signal when a document is ready for review.
- Including subfolders when compressing files using CaseWare Tracker is now possible. A new option, Include Sub Folders, is now added to the prompt before compressing the files from the selected view.
- Improved the security of compressed client files.
- Scrolling in the Adjusting Entries screen is now possible in a locked down file in order to view all line entries.
- Improved performance when reading and writing metadata.
- In prior versions, you needed to navigate to Tools | Options | General to clear the recent files list. There was no option to remove files (excluding sync copies) on a one by one basis. We've added two new options to the right-click context menu to help users organize their Recent Files list:
- Remove from list - Use this option to remove the selected file from the recent file list. If the file is a sync file, this option is disabled.
- Clear unpinned files - Select this option to clear all unpinned files from the registry.
- We now support databases (.dbf/.cdx) up to 4GB. This will enable you to service clients with extremely large trial balances that were previously not supported in Working Papers.
- For efficiency, at the time of import, you can round the trial balance and establish the plug accounts for the differences.
- Adjusting entries posted to map/group accounts will now apply the foreign exchange rate associated to the first account assigned in the map/group, ensuring the adjustments reflect the proper translated balance. You can apply this feature to older files by reposting all entries from the Repair File dialog.
- For regions where you are producing reports and financial statements in multiple currencies, you can now modify the default formatting for currency display elements, including the currency symbol, position, decimal symbol, and digit grouping symbol. You can choose to continue using the default regional setting or you can specify a custom setting. You can access these options from the Tools tab by selecting Options | Currency. This eliminates the need to change your regional settings on your computer.
- Fixed an issue where documents would not open if they were double clicked while the user's cursor was under some column headers.
- For regions where you are producing reports and financial statements in multiple currencies, the currency/unit options to support the ability to use either the Windows OS currency regional settings or the settings in the engagement file are now available for all cells, individual cells, and graph data points. This is related to the new option in Working Papers and eliminates the need to change your computer’s regional settings.
- We’ve expanded the list of CaseView Menu options available in the Actions of the Events dialog so that template authors can incorporate these actions when building new Ribbons.
- You can now edit the content of an input cell in Form Mode and Form Mode with Enable Editing by double-clicking on it. This change reflects the functionality of other spreadsheet applications.If the cell already has a double-click event, you can CTRL-click to edit the cell instead. In Design Mode, double-clicking a cell opens the Edit Cell dialog.
- To reduce confusion and "noise", the option to Skip Content Changes has been added for the actions Update a Knowledge Library Link and Update All Knowledge Library Links. When template authors enable this option, comparisons with updated Knowledge Library content will not flag changes made to input text or note numbers.
- Fixed an issue where users could receive an error message when inserting a formula into a cell with the linkage dialog.
- Fixed an issue where some cell overrides could not be removed for cells with external data references.
- Fixed an issue where the undo command could only revert the most recent change on an external data cell. Undo can now undo multiple changes to an external data cell.
- Tables in CaseView are now treated as a single unit for sorting purposes. When included as part of a section with sorting enabled, any tables fully contained by the section will move around paragraphs and other tables as a single unit.
- Template authors can now take advantage of the Use Map/Group Sign Field in Linkage option in the CaseView Document Settings dialog. This will eliminate the need to add the SIGN modifier to all formulas. When end users post adjustments to map/group numbers, the sign will be based on the map/group number regardless of whether trial balance accounts have been assigned.
- Added a new BALDESC function to the list of linkage functions in the Calculation Editor dialog. This function returns details (full description, abbreviation, or past/future setting) from a custom balance.
- Fixed an issue where opening the calculation editor in a browse with a very large formula would cause CaseView to become unresponsive.
- Exported Excel and html reports now show annotations to tax groupings.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a document to an RTF file would fail to open if the document contained a cell that was split between two pages.
- Fixed an issue where users could not print a CaseView document to PDF if the document contained other PDFs that had images with transparencies.
- The Multiple Document Windows mode is now enabled by default. This will allow users to launch multiple CaseView documents in unique windows. If necessary, you can disable this in Tools | Options | Interface.
- Fixed an issue where CaseView could become unresponsive in Form mode when using Visual Merge and a theme other than Scenic.
- Fixed an issue with Multiple Document Windows mode where a CaseView document would not reappear automatically after users closed a print preview.
- Fixed an issue where page numbers on subdocuments with a table of contents would sometimes be incorrect.
- Fixed an issue where clicking a button cell to launch the Engagement Cleanup Wizard would produce an error message.
- Fixed an issue where closing a document that has a PDF file inserted into it would occasionally cause CaseView to become unresponsive.
- Added a new Options command to the XBRL menu in the Tools tab of the Ribbon. You can configure XBRL options in the XBRL Options dialog. These options include:
- a new set of options that previously required modifying the CV.VER file.
- the ability to include an XML declaration for exported XBRL and Inline XBRL documents.
- the ability to customize XBRL diagnostic messages.
- You can now delete annotations simply by right-clicking on the annotation and selecting Delete this annotation from the context menu.
- The Add/Remove Note Numbers dialog in Form Mode and Form Mode with Enable Editing has been modified to handle notes from sub documents. Items are now displayed in tree format with checkboxes for easy enabling and disabling of individual note numbers.
- Long graph titles and captions now automatically wrap as opposed to being cut off at either end.
- When rounding two values that are the same, where one has the Flip sign of value property enabled, use the Handle Flipped Cell Values to ensure CaseView doesn’t record a rounding error for the two values.
- Fixed an issue that caused files to be duplicated in the file list when packaging a template.
- Opening and closing files with large amounts of metadata is now significantly faster.
- SmartSync copies will no longer be deleted when documents are still open. A warning will now be displayed when a user attempts to delete a sync copy with open documents.
- Fixed an issue where inserting a copy of a Sync On Demand document could cause sync conflicts in published Working Papers files.
- Fixed an issue where Working Papers would sometimes become unresponsive when checking in an automatic document.
- The SmartSync Server tab of the Open dialog will now properly show all the files to which a user is assigned. In prior versions, new users to a firm could not see any files on the SmartSync server tab unless a child copy was opened.
- When opening files from the SmartSync Server tab, you can now create more meaningful labels for existing SmartSync Servers in the Manage SmartSync Servers dialog by double-clicking on the labels.
- The file extension for temporary backup files has changed. These backup files are created during File Service operations on compressed files for SmartSync Servers and Cloud. The former file extension was .ac_, and the new file extension is .acx. IT administrators may need to add the .acx extension to your antivirus exclusion lists.
- Fixed an issue where creating a sync copy in SmartSync Server with outstanding documents on a Virtual Machine causes Working Papers to crash.
- Fixed an issue where SmartSync Server installer could unexpectedly remove certain custom permissions when upgrading.
- Improved error handling when syncing data between SmartSync Server and Working Papers.
- Fixed an issue where SmartSync Server could time out when indexing a large number of files.
- Fixed an issue that could cause excessive disk activity when using SmartSync Server.
- The SmartSync Server tab of the File Open dialog will now properly reflect changes made in the Datastore.
- SmartSync Server performance has been improved.
- Fixed an issue where checking out a commuter license on a terminal server in a Citrix environment would prevent all other terminal users from connecting to the license server.
- Navigating quickly between pages is now possible from the View tab when viewing a PDF document in the internal viewer.
- A new Browse computer quick access command can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar to open existing files with ease.
- Improved the icons in the Quick Access Toolbar, making it easier to identify different groups of commands.
- Fixed an issue that could cause some columns in the Open page on the File backstage to be unintentionally hidden.
- Fixed an issue where the Edit Issue dialog could assign issues to the wrong documents when using the navigation toolbar.
- Fixed display issues for devices with high resolution screens.
- Removed the Formatting option from the Group Properties dialog and the New Group Number dialog.
- Import support has been added for Business Vision Version 2017.
- Fixed an issue where importing a trial balance a second time would double the balances. This would only occur with the following settings:
- Accumulate Balances and Clear Balances of Period(s) Being Imported selected in the Excel File Import Wizard
- Allow entry of period balances in Working Trial Balance (Other Entries will be disabled) selected in the Engagement Properties
- Trial balance imports for very large data sets are now faster.
- Fixed an issue where Working Papers would not retrieve subconto and client information correctly in some circumstances when importing 1C files.
- Fixed an issue where importing from Windward System Five would clear GIFI codes in the file.
- Fixed an issue that set an incorrect year-end-date when importing an MYOB AccountEdge file with 13 Period selected for the file period settings.
- Fixed an issue where importing from Xero would not properly import accounts with a balance at the end of the prior year and $nil at the end of the current year.
- The Excel File Import Wizard will no longer import hidden worksheets.
- Improved the performance of the ProSystem fx Tax Export.Added the following two new options in Tools | Advanced:
- Display only supported tax codes - Use this option to show valid tax codes applicable to the tax vendor only instead of showing all available tax codes.
- Allow any adjustments to tax export codes in the lockdown file - Use this option to allow tax adjustments in a lockdown file. In the past, there was no way to post Tax - Federal adjustments without selecting a temporary or permanent difference when it was merely a reclassification of tax codes.
Added the following three options in the Export | Export to Tax Software dialog:
- Exclude Net Income Amount - Use this option to exclude the Net Income from the export. This ensures the NETINC account, when imported, does not override the net income from the CCH tax file.
- Exclude Retained Earnings Amount - Use this option to exclude the Retained Earnings amount from the export. This ensures the Retained Earnings (L24) does not override the Retained Earnings in the CCH tax file.
- Include M3 Schedule - Use this option to export the M1 or M3 schedule separately.
- To eliminate the duplication of work, the "Operating Name" and "E.I.N./BN" fields of the Engagement Properties dialog now sync with their corresponding Cloud fields: "Operating Name" and "Business Number". Changes made in Engagement Properties will automatically update the related fields in the Cloud Entity and vice versa.
Get in touch with your local distributor